Common Causes of a Premises Liability Lawsuit
- Oily/greasy floor of garage or ramp
- Poor lighting
- Slippery sidewalks
- Unstable balcony and stairway
- Liquids spilled on floor (especially supermarket floors)
- Faulty escalators and elevators
- Wild dogs that attack visitors on sight
- Blocked aisles
- Uneven/loose carpet
- Damaged sidewalks
- Wires, string and cords lying on the ground
If the owner fails to notify visitor about these, they will be held liable in the eyes of the court.
That aside, the nature of lawsuits also depends on the visitors of the property. Three categories of visitors are recognized by the law:
- An Invitee is someone who visits a property for business purposes. Owners are required to check and repair hazards before they visit.
- A Licensee is someone visiting a property for social purposes. Owners are responsible for the proper care and maintenance of their property, but are not bound to look for specific hazards when a licensee is visiting.
- Trespassers are people found on the property in an unauthorized position. Owners are not responsible for any injury caused to trespassers unless they are children.
Why Do You Need An Attorney?
The LA Law Firm is located in Down Town Los Angeles, if you or someone you love has been affected by a car accident, product defect medical negligence or even a fall, call (866)383-1462 and schedule your free consultation.